I’ve spent the better part of this week working on a prototype for the OUYA CREATE game jam with my friend Dan Whiddon (Redsting Games). We also have a forum thread on OUYAForum.com along with another on the official OUYA forums!
The long-term game idea is a hack ‘n slash similar to the Gauntlet series. I have a lot of fond memories playing games like Gauntlet: Dark Legacy with my friends and with my dad, so it was the natural choice for a fun console game to make! Given the CREATE game jam is only 10 days long, though, we came up with a few constraints/goals to keep things in check:
- Shoot for 2-5mins of polished gameplay. Quality over quantity.
- Fight in an arena rather than along a level, as we likely won’t have time to make a good level for content.
- End either when the player(s) die (high score?), or after a boss fight that goes into a teaser screen
- Focus on making gameplay fun over making new features. This mostly means focusing on combat mechanics.
- Plan to throw the code away afterward and re-write it. Let the prototype be exactly that: a prototype, not the final product. This will let us throw in hacks and work-arounds as needed without spending too much time on code cleanliness, which will help a lot with the short deadline.
Overall, our progress has been pretty awesome! I only had limited experience with Unity3D before now, but I’ve been amazed at how easy it is to use. Even as a newbie, you can pretty much blunder your way through the interface and API and still be incredibly productive.
We’ve got three days left in the game jam: time to make the most of it!